Thursday, January 15, 2015

Day 14 - Being sick

I feel sick, my skin is radiating heat while I am shivering, I have hives, and a headache.
I have adorned myself in my old-lady-fluffy-pink robe (yes, my mother DID give it to me), Zsa Zsa Gabor-esque fuzzy slippers, old Robie Creek socks, and my hair up in a towel-turban.  (yes, I am aware that may be affecting the shivering.  I'll blow it dry in a minute!)

What I'm grateful for today is that I am sick.

I found out accepted that I have become allergic to several foods (gluten, eggs, dairy and, worst of all, garlic) back around October, thanks to a violent reaction from a "harmless" chocolate chip cookie dough truffle which culminated in a trip to the emergency room and was resolved with probiotics.  Since then I have diligently avoided the four main allergies.

Then there was Christmas.
In Texas.
With my aunt.
The Italian cook.

She graciously cooked around my issues, but I in no way limited my sugar intake.  I made my favorite cookies ever (dairy, gluten, egg free, recipe below
) and ate them all.  About a week after I got home, which was last week, I got sick.  And now I'm sick again.

I'm so grateful that there IS a solution to my sickness.  My body is telling me it doesn't like how I've been doing things, and I a finally listening.  There IS a solution to my ailments.  So many others don't have one. (CDC Stats)  I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't pay attention now and make the changes I can to live my life without getting sick once a week!

Enjoy Life has a great selection of allergen-free products and lots of recipes on the their web page.

No comments:

Post a Comment