Saturday, May 23, 2015

Blessing #142: A new job

This week, I was offered and accepted a new job in the school district!  I'll be moving to a junior high closer to home.  I'm so excited!
  • I now get to know what it's like to work at a traditional school.
  • I can ride my bike to work.
  • A few friends already work there, and they say it's full of wonderful people.
I'm also super grateful for the 4 years I've been at my current school, which was my first contractual teaching job.  Some of the gazillion insights I gleamed at my current position:
  • I learned boundaries (thanks to students that don't have any) quickly.
  • My teaching improved quickly.  Because students have no filter and just absolutely disengage when they aren't interested or don't get something, I tried new stuff a lot to help them learn.
  • I learned that student behavior is generally not about me.  Their acting out almost never has anything to do with me.
  • Students really do want to learn.
  • Students really just want to please their teacher (sometimes way, way, WAY down deep).
  • I can easily go to Costco every other day (school is right by it).
  • Teenagers are people.
  • Teenagers care about each other and the people in their lives.
  • Some teenagers go through more by the age of 15 than some of us ever go through in our entire lives.
  • I am a good teacher.
  • I have more patients than I ever thought possible.
  • To say no.  Then say no again.  Then keep saying no until they stop asking.
  • People are more important than math.

No comments:

Post a Comment