Thursday, January 14, 2021

#14 Rain

 It rained today in Tel Aviv! A couple of things about this make me happy.

1. When it rains I often think of the 5th grade trip (I think it was 5th, can anyone verify that?) to the LBJ Ranch in Johnson City, Texas, the beloved home of President Lyndon Baines Johnson. I remember riding on the little shuttle and hearing "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" while the tour guide told us it was LBJ's favorite song. I also remember this little scene 3 or 4 times--it's one of those field trips you do over and over again if you grow up in Austin. [Disclaimer: It could have only been once, the memories kind of run together after a while]

2. In three years in the UAE it rained a total maybe 5 times. The rain here is great! It is torrential and loud and accompanied by thunder and lighting. One strike was so loud this morning while I was teaching I visibly jumped in my chair.

3. Because it rains the plants I was gifted on Halloween (thanks Brittany) are actually growing since they are not dependent on my for their survival. 

4. You can go walking in the rain with the proper equipment. I don't know why but I absolutely love walking around in the rain in my raincoat! My raincoat, by the way, which I love. I bought the best raincoat ever in Ireland during the first year of my Masters but then left it in Bucharest at a friend's house. But...in France in 2019 on the 75th anniversary of D-Day I found an equally awesome one at a Decathalon. All of that is to say that I love the rain because then I wear my awesome raincoat in which I am in the rain but not getting wet and remember all the great times I had in the rain in that raincoat (or one exactly like it).

No comments:

Post a Comment