Wednesday, November 11, 2015

#314: My ex-husband

18 years ago today, the day before Veteran's Day, I met my ex-husband in San Antonio, TX. He is always on my mind this time of year, but this year I realized it's been eighteen years since we met. Oh, my.

I am so grateful that he came into my life:

  • He taught me how to swim
  • He taught me how to run
  • He did my very first race with me (5 miler [read: NOT km) at Randolf AFB in San Antonio
  • With him I had enough courage to sell all my stuff, leave Texas, and become a park ranger 
  • He taught me how to rock climb
  • He taught me how to fold t-shirts into 6-in squares
  • I learned from him that I really love owning dogs
  • I would not be in Boise if he hadn't been in wildland fire
  • Once we weren't married anymore, he became one of my greatest teachers in forgiveness (of both of us), humility (realizing I was not the perfect wife), and kindness
  • During our divorce someone told him something I have implemented a million times: Now is the time for kindness.
Though we don't talk anymore, I am thankful for having him in my life for 10 years. So much of who I am today was fueled in part by his support, encouragement and love. He loved me when I was totally unable to love myself. 

We should all be so lucky. We all are, if we look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment