Saturday, November 28, 2015

#330: Parents: I have some, and they're quite awesome.


When did this happen?  

When did my parents become such pleasant people to spend time with? I'm telling you, it's been in the last 6 months. I just had the best time with my parents this week! 

A sign I serendipitously ran into in Austin
I do realize that the only one that's changed in this situation is me. What's so wonderful about it is that it just happened. With the exception of a few things like looking my mother in the eye and not calling my brother names at the Thanksgiving dinner table, I didn't do anything to make the relationship better. I didn't have to "work" on it. I've just been busy getting comfortable with myself  and suddenly I find myself in Austin feeling delighted to be with my parents. I saw them in new ways that I have hope is a byproduct of a new perception of myself. 

We went out to dinner last night and all three of us contributed to the conversation. I didn't leave anybody out. Back at home we watched TCU beat Baylor and then I forced them to sit through all of my Ireland pictures from the summer. We laughed so much! I didn't take my dad's snide remarks personally, and he didn't take it personally when my mom and I made fun of him for asking questions about stuff we had talked about 3 minutes earlier. 

Then, most amazingly, I lay in bed with my mom talking before we all went to bed. We talked and talked. And laughed. Lots of laughter.  

I let her in, and I'm so glad I did. I'm telling you, I never thought it would happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment