Friday, May 15, 2015

Gratitude #134: That changing my attitude changes everything

Upon awakening this morning, I went back to sleep.  No, thank you, I'm not interested in today.  Depression was in my bones, willing me to stay in bed.

As I lay there I realized that I would, in fact, have to go to work if I want to keep getting paid.  I also knew that I would, in fact, go to work, whether I felt like this or not. 

So I had a little chat with God.  It went like this:  Help me.  I know I have to go to work, help me make it throughI do not want to feel like this all day.  After my meditation [read: excuse to stay in bed] I grabbed my phone and Google-d "what the Bible says about depression".  Here's some of what I found (from: http://www.openbible.info/topics/depression):
  • Psalm 34:17-18   When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. 
  • 1 Peter 5:7  Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
  • Psalm 143:7-8  Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. 
  • For the more dramatic part of myself:  Psalm 23:4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
  • Romans 12:2  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
 And the one that really hit home:  2 Timothy 1:7 
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Thus I began my day, with my head filled with good, loving thoughts that filled me with courage and dispelled me fears, which are at the root of most distress I encounter. 

Even before I got in the car, I was having a better great day.  Norman Vincent Peale was right:  change your thoughts, change your life!  Or at least your day.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment