Saturday, September 26, 2015

#267: These days I care about my community



One of the many reasons I love living in Boise is that it is where I finally realized that I am not the only person who goes through hard times; that I am not the only person who ever feels isolated or alone; and where I discovered that my small contributions are not only valuable to my community, but at the heart of my self-esteem and well being.

That is all to say that I finally figured out that I'm not the only person here on this planet.

At the beginning of September, the Boise International Market was destroyed by fire. Within a week, a funding campaign (Go Fund Me) had raise $37,000 to help the mostly refugee vendors. I had never been to the market and didn't pay much attention, quite honesty.

Tonight, though, a friend invited me to go to a fundraising event for the Market in the parking lot of where the market was. I didn't really want to go, and I had several good reasons:

  1. I was tired
  2. It was hot
  3. I had worked all week [see #1]
  4. I thought not many people would be there
  5. I would have to spend money
  6. I don't like crowds
  7. I might see people I know and I was crabby
 So I went, and I'm glad I did!

  1. There were tons of people there
  2. I got to eat Ethiopian food, which I'd never done
  3. I ran into a woman I haven't seen in a long time, and it was lovely to see her
  4. It was hot but we sat under a tarp
  5. We heard beautiful, fun, original music which was amazing
  6. I didn't know there are so many international people in Boise
  7. I was blown away by how many people support/supported the BIM.
The moral of the story for me today was: stop thinking, Joy, and look around. Amazing things are happening if you only stop to notice and are willing to participate!

No comments:

Post a Comment