Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Blessing #263: The unexpected

I heard someone say, "you don't have to go hunting up trouble, it has no problem finding you" (or something pretty close) and I've always remembered that in the positive: if I relax and take care of what's right in front of me, something I'm not on the lookout for will happen and I won't be forgotten and all will work out okay. But it's all contingent on this "relax and take it easy and mind my own business" thing.

So two hours ago I was so made I had written an entire whining blog post in my head. Instead of actually writing it, however, I ate an entire box of cereal [to be fair, it was Puffins with coconut milk.  I mean really, how bad can that be?] and watched football.

Then my phone blinked and it was a Facebook message from a friend's sister, whom I've never met but heard lots about. She's just begun her Master's degree in education and was looking for encouragement and support. We ended up talking on the phone for about an hour about all sorts of stuff; we laughed and told stories and laughed some more and talked about Master's degrees and talked about my friend [her brother] and laughed some more. It was really delightful.

Then when I hung up, I realized I wasn't angry anymore. Suddenly what I was mad at myself about just seemed like the price tag on another lesson in growing as a person. And it was the result of this unexpected encounter that got me out of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment