Sunday, September 13, 2015

#254: Doing things I don't want to do

I have volunteered at a jail or prison in most places I've lived,  Boise included.  However,  I did that when I was new to Boise 9ish years ago and when the bug bit me to start doing it again about a year ago, I was saddened to learn that I have to get to sit through 8 hours of orientation.

I showed up anyway, and when I got in line to go in, the woman behind me was a friend of mine! We used to work together and we sat together all day. Though the room was full, we got two seats in the front row [good for me, because if I sit in the back I do not pay attention and have a greater tendency to complain all day instead of learn].

The first thing we did was go around the room and introduce ourselves, and this is when I totally bought in. The room was full of probably over 200 people who all donate their time to inmates in the Idaho Department of Corrections. I was overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness and service of people. Thus permanently ended my bad attitude for the day, and I really got a lot out of the training. 

I also found out that my friend was there working with a ministry to help prevent child sexual abuse, which I am now going to attend so I can one day take that program into the prisons.

All because I got over myself and showed up even though I didn't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment