Thursday, April 16, 2015

Blessing #105: Playing rummy in math class!

Today the juniors at school took the SAT, so I only had 3 out of 16 students in one of my classes.  We spent the first half of the day doing make up work and the 2nd half playing cards--Rummy, or at least our own modified version of Rummy--to be exact.  We only played two hands but I got so much out of this quick game:
  • Some students didn't know how to play, and I recognized the vulnerability in learning how to do something new.  I was reminded that they probably feel like this frequently in their lives, especially in math class.  It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and to learn how to do something.  
  • In such a small group I really got to see how I interact with the students and I was very aware of the impact my manner & words can have on my students.  It was a great reminded to chose my words carefully.
  • I sat and played a game with my students.  This reminded me that if I don't watch it, I can find myself sitting behind my computer, nagging students to get to work from across the room.  
  • I sat and played a game with my students!  Ultimately I belive me job is about building relationships with my students....without that, they won't trust me and feel safe enough to learn anything. 
  • The most unexpected events can harbor profound reminders that help me get back in touch with what's really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment