Friday, October 30, 2015

#298: Dublin Dr. Peppers

I'm a Pepper! Are you a Pepper?


My recent visit to Texas got my brain thinking about those gems that are not necessarily Texas, but are specific to Texas: Blue Bell Ice Cream (the best ice cream in the country); Whataburger; Taco Cabana; and of course, Dr. Pepper [the greatest beverage ever. EVER.]

I know I've spent a lot of time in Ireland, but this time I mean Dublin, TEXAS. It's here:

For well over 100 years a small bottling plant in Dublin, TX bottled Dr. Pepper using Imperial Pure Cane Sugar rather than High Fructose Corn Syrup. For a long time, they were only available in Texas and so hard to find my aunt would ration my allotment when I visited. 


Imagine my surprise, then, when out to lunch in Boise at Jenny's Lunch Line when I noticed, among the other specialty colas, a small, glass bottle, retro Dr. Pepper-


However, when I was researching this fantastic beverage for this blog, I learned some very, very sad news. Dublin Dr. Pepper is no more. Since 2012 (Wow, have I not been paying attention!), the Dublin Bottling Works has not been bottling the famous beverage since Dr. Pepper decided to pull out after a dispute with the bottler.

It is very, very sad, but what a fantastic beverage it was! And if you are lucky enough to find Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar instead of HFCS, you are lucky, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment