Friday, February 20, 2015

Blessing #50: Google!


I stayed home from work today.  I went to bed last night feeling awful, but the worst part is the headaches I've been having since Tuesday night.  I only sleep for about 2 hours at a time before the pain in my temples awakens me.

I'm pretty sure they are caused by caffeine withdrawal, as I drink a lot of tea and over the weekend in Austin I drank A-LOT of tea.  The timing lines up:  this is day 3 without any caffeine and my head is POUND-ing.

My Chinese Medicine training taught me that withdrawal headaches are often dehydration headaches, as tea and other caffeinated beverages are a diuretic.  This knowledge guiding me, I've been trying to drink lots of water--but failing miserably.  It makes me feel nauseous, it tastes bad, and I have this fear of having to get up to use the restroom a million times a night.

Tonight, then, head pounding, I started Googling what I can do; to verify my dehydration theory; to see if my pain matches what WebMD or About.com says.

Bingo!  I struck gold!


Source:  http://headaches.about.com/od/headaches101/a/Dealing-With-A-Dehydration-Headache.htm








In all of my pain, I hadn't thought to drink Gatorade!  And guess what?!?!  There was a full bottle of Fruit Punch in my fridge!   I'm almost finished with it.  I dare say my headache is slightly better.  I'll keep the water going, take some Tylenol and go to bed.

Almost gone!

Oh, by the way, WebMD lists caffeine addiction as a myth.  I disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment