Monday, February 23, 2015

Blessing #53: My first restful weekend of the...year

On Friday, my colleague made me promise to rest this weekend.  And, unlike past promises for evenings/days/weekends of rest, I ACTUALLY DID IT!  I did not decline the symphony then stay up till 2 watching GG episodes; I went to bed at 8:30 on Friday night.

R.E.S.T. is soooo hard for me!!

I used to think that to be happy I was supposed to be busy.  I looked around at all the people that looked happy on their outsides and what I saw in common was that they were all had many important things to do:  volunteering, hobbies, sports.  So I got busy.  It worked so well that years later, here I am, super busy.  This seems to have become one of my identifying characteristics. 

Rest was like stopping, and I was terrified to stop because I thought I wouldn't be important anymore or that everyone would forget about my while I was sitting on my couch reading on a Sunday afternoon or working on my scrapbook all afternoon.

It was still scary to rest this afternoon, but I have to tell you, I am SOOO tired of being sick that I told God I'm willing to do it, whatever the cost.  I'm tired of being sick through beautiful afternoons and concerts and symphonies.  Sure, it's not so bad to be sick during things I don't care too much about doing, but I have spent most of 2015 recovering from being sick after doing something awesome. 

So no more.  My Lenten commitment is sleep/rest.  Come hell or high water, I am going to rest, be that sleep or just skipping a function so I can spend time with myself. 

Now it's out there, I'm accountable!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment