Monday, March 8, 2021

#66 The First Day of School [again]!

 Today grades 7-10 started back to school in person. Grade 8 is full on, 5 days a week. 

It felt exactly like the first day of school back in August.

I got the Sunday afternoon blues yesterday and had to force myself off of the couch to get ready for Monday. No more staying up super late, no more getting out of bed in the 7 o'clock hour to be on Zoom at 8:15. I felt like it was my first day of teaching ever and felt a similar combination of anxiety, trepidation and at times plain old fear. 

Getting ready last night was so awkward...I have totally forgotten any routine I had for getting ready for school. I almost forgot lunch--no hourly trips through the throughout the day. Obviously I would have to wash my hair and dig out some decent pants to wear. I even wore makeup!

It was fun to see the students, although everything took me ages to do. I'm so used to teaching on Zoom I had to remember that in school we write on paper and that requires a pen. I'd forgotten how to use the printer and where the hot water dispensers live. What is my room number again? 

By the drive home I was beginning to sense that familiar feeling of routine resurfacing. It turned out to be a great yet exhausting day! 

2 comments:

  1. Surprising how long it took to realize we were loosing familiar routines with NO notice. How great to be able to return to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprising how long it took to realize we were loosing familiar routines with NO notice. How great to be able to return to them

    ReplyDelete