Thursday, February 11, 2021

#42 - Hamantash

 The world is so much better with this little cookie called a hamantash in it! It looks like this:


Because we are now allowed OUT, Melaine, Inbal and I met up in Kikar Dizengoff (a big roundabout on Dizengoff street) to basically just be together. Inbal got us tea at a little coffee shop nearby and also came back with three hamantash. It was delicious! It tasted a bit like my grandmother's fig cookies--a pastry with a filling inside. But this filling was perhaps sesame. 

Apparently these cookies are popular leading up to and during the holiday of Purim, which celebrates the saving of the Jewish people from Haman, who was planning to kill all the Jews (any of my Jewish friends please feel free to correct me). He was an official of the Persian empire and his plans were foiled by Queen Esther and her cousin Mordecai. I'm told the celebration is a big celebration, including costumes and a lot of partying.

Where do these delicious cookies come in? I have no idea except that they are called "Haman's ears" and are a symbol of the defeat of the enemy of the Jews. For more than that I direct you HERE, as there are several theories. 

No matter the specifics, these cookies are D-LISH-US and definitely added to the joy of my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment