Wednesday, June 10, 2015

#160: I said no!

I did it.  I said no.

In May I volunteered to write curriculum this summer and our training days were yesterday and today.  When I signed up, however, I didn't give any thought to being in Boise for only 2 weeks before I left for Ireland; I disregarded entirely the need for rest after a hard school year; and thoroughly neglected one of the absolute joys of being a teacher: summer hanging out time.  I also ignored my schedule, which was to drive to Colorado for the Ragnar Trail Relay in Snowmass.  My new commitment meant I would have to finish the race on Saturday afternoon and be back in Boise by Sunday night-an 11 hour drive.

Here's what I did:  I finished the race around 4, stayed in Glenwood Springs Saturday night, then drove all 11 hours back to Boise on Sunday.  I got home at 6:30.  Around 8 I went to Chili's to pick up dinner and realized just how exhausted I was.  The thought of going to work on Monday was overwhelming.  The thought of going back Tuesday was paralyzing and the thought of working into Wednesday, Thursday and Friday was disheartening. 

I had an inkling to call my supervisor and talk to her, but I didn't.  Instead I didn't sleep due to caffeine and anxiety.  In the morning I went to work like I had promised, but with resolve to back out of this once I got there.  The conversation played over and over in my head, though in the back of my head I had a vague sense that I was making too big a deal out of this.

I was right!  By lunch I talked to the woman in charge and she said you totally should have called me last night!  Of course go take care of yourself.

So I did!  And because I did I got to (among other things) sleep in until 11:30 this morning, watch The Water Diviner at the dollar show with a friend and then to the Natatorium today.

Woohoo!!  It feels like summer now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment